Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Half-Marathon

For those of you that know me, I am not a huge fitness/health freak. I have been known to eat Chipotle 2-3 times a day... Take a nap that lasts 5-6 hours.. and even take a taxi for a two or three block ride home..

Don't get me wrong, I am not a couch potatoe.. I play golf almost everyday and enjoy working out.. But running has never been my cup of tea...

A few weekends ago, I was sitting on my couch (weird) and a fitness commercial came on, inbetween a UFC fight on Spike TV. I started thinking of things that I could do, for a summer project, to get in shape..

I thought about a marathon.. BUT, I have gone on vacations less than 26.2 miles from home. If I am going that far, I am going to jump into my car, turn up the radio, and set the cruise control.

Then I had the idea of a Triathlon, but the swimming would destroy me. I may drink like a fish, but I don't swim like one....

So I decided to do a half-marathon, the 16 week training for a half-marathon is just what I was looking for.

I talked it over with a few friends and family members and I have decided to do the North Country Half Marathon in Walker, MN (about 15 miles from our lake house) on Sepetember 19th. So those of you that are interested in a bit of free entertainment, feel free to come out and support or even join me for the 13 mile death march...

Since starting my training, 10 days ago, I have logged 14.9 miles into my training log (http://www.runnersworld.com/). I bought a new pair of Asics running shoes last night, and I plan on putting them on their maiden voyage later this afternoon with the 4 mile run that I have scheduled.

I plan to keep everyone posted, so feel free to check in from time to time and see if my legs have fallen off!

Until next time,

JCL IV

1 comment: